Monday, June 17, 2013

What in the World is God Doing?

I don't know where to even begin with this post but I do know that wherever I turn, whatever I read, whomever I talk to... I am reminded of God's heart for the poor and oppressed. 

Psalm 82:3~Defend the weak and the fatherless; uphold the cause of the poor and the oppressed.

Psalm 146:7~He upholds the cause of the oppressed and gives food to the hungry.

Isaiah 1:17~ Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.


Isaiah 58:6~ Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke?
 
Luke 4:18~ The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to set the oppressed free, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor.
 

Proverbs 31:8-9~ Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy.

It's funny how sometimes the thing you've been praying about and trying to figure out for years has been right under your nose the whole time.  I was first acquainted with Compassion as a freshmen in college.  Compassion's president, Wes Stafford, spoke  to us about children in poverty and how something as simple as a monthly sponsorship could change a child's life forever.  We often just think of poverty as having little or no money but it's also and mindset and a lack of options.  And it can become a lifestyle passed down through generations unless the cycle is stopped.

Child sponsorship not only provides much needed education, healthful meals, clean water, etc., it also has the potential to build relationships between sponsors and children that can last forever.  Imagine the impact you can have as you not only provide material benefits for your child but also love, encouragement, and belief in their God-given potential. 

I have known about this organization for over 10 years now but God used a little book and an amazing, Grace-filled  Mom from Canada to inspire me to make my child a priority in my prayers and my letter writing and also to start speaking up for children in poverty.

Hopefully there will be more posts to come on this subject...  Micah 6:8~ And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.

2 comments:

  1. "there is not greater joy than to know my children walk in truth." III john 4. ...and my joy is overflowing to see how God has led you julie - and you have responded to step out of the comfort zone, into your calling on behalf of women and children who are in the clutches of injustice, abuse and living conditions of deprivation and squalor. as you walk in God's call i am praying ..."hands of men at war and all the people with them are weakened, by the words julie spoke..." jer.38:4. keep running with JESUS!
    love you - mama-in-law

    ReplyDelete