Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Why this Blog~ Starting Again

6 “Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen:
to loose the chains of injustice
and untie the cords of the yoke,
to set the oppressed free
and break every yoke?
7 Is it not to share your food with the hungry
and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter
when you see the naked, to clothe them,
and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?
8 Then your light will break forth like the dawn,
and your healing will quickly appear;
then your righteousness[a] will go before you,
and the glory of the Lord will be your rear guard.
9 Then you will call, and the Lord will answer;
you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I.
“If you do away with the yoke of oppression,
with the pointing finger and malicious talk,
10 and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry
and satisfy the needs of the oppressed,
then your light will rise in the darkness,
and your night will become like the noonday.
11 The Lord will guide you always;
he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land
and will strengthen your frame.
You will be like a well-watered garden,
like a spring whose waters never fail.
12 Your people will rebuild the ancient ruins
and will raise up the age-old foundations;
you will be called Repairer of Broken Walls,
 Restorer of Streets with Dwellings. ~ Isaiah 58:6-12


I have been thinking about these words off and on since summer.  I know I'm not doing nearly my part when it comes to reaching out to the oppressed.  I have compiled a list of verses that remind me of what I should be doing and why.  But.... I still know there is more I can do.  It's so much easier to stick my head in the sand or stay busy with my own little life than to get dirty trying to help those who are less fortunate than me.  I've heard it said lately or maybe read it somewhere that guilt is not enough incentive or the right incentive to move me into action.  Rather I should act because of love.  God's perfect love moving through my imperfect self to reach out to others.   

So, as part of my goal of getting out of my comfort zone and figuring out how I can seek justice for the oppressed, I am going to try to start blogging again.  I started this blog in the first place with the idea of shedding light on injustices that I read about.  (It turned into a family blog for a while but that's o.k.)  Writing is more of a discipline for myself since I don't have many readers anyway:)  But it's one step in the right direction of educating myself and sharing what I find.  I hope to write about books I read, current events, ministries, and people that are out there making a difference.  Some of the causes I want to learn more about and find a way to get involved in include: orphans, human trafficking, sex slavery, abortion, persecuted Christians, and women around the world who are living under oppression.

Honestly, one of my biggest hurdles right now is that I can hardly step foot in my bathroom much less leave my house without a toddler hanging on my leg.  I would love to travel the world or volunteer at a shelter but that is just not going to happen right now.  I want to be a globally-minded mother but the truth is I spend most of my days changing diapers, quelling elementary arguments, trying to cook healthy meals and attempting to keep my house in a relative state of cleanliness.  I want to teach my kids to think about others and realize that they are blessed beyond measure but I seem to have trouble getting them to obey and be respectful to me!  I want to quit thinking so much about myself and start praying for those who are hurting and suffering. 

I will close this post with a quote from a Christianity Today article by Chuck Colson and Catherine Larson that I posted a long time ago, "...when we refuse to commit, we miss out on one of the great joys of life. When we obsess over ourselves, we lose the meaning of life, which is to know and serve God and love and serve our neighbors."
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Love this Julie! Such a good motivator and inspiration for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie, I am one of your few readers, and am glad to see your entry pop up in my feed. :-) You are singing to the choir, my friend. With a 3 and 1 year old, I feel helpless in acting on passions that stir in my heart. However, I believe that the Lord will give us small ways to make an impact if we just open ourselves up to Him. I'm excited to follow you on your journey! I have a few books in queue on my Amazon wishlist related to some of the topics you listed. I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on what you read.

    ReplyDelete